Friday, March 2, 2018

The Hills of West Virginia Call

59.

"I just need a minute Reverend, just give me a minute to process this." Clarissa felt like the wind had been knocked out of her. She had just gotten off the phone with Doris who was ok, but weirded out by Gilbert's behavior. What had caused Clarissa such alarm was the day, it was the same day she'd left with Ms Parker. Despite being in the jungle for months, she had been gone around three hours.

"I don't want to be an asshole, but we are behind Mr. Dunkley, and perhaps if we catch him at the house..."

"You must give me a minute to process I've only been gone from the world for three hours Reverend, I WAS THERE FOR THREE MONTHS!" It was scary and sad at the same time, Clarissa was happy to an extent she hadn't missed three months of her life in the "real" world, but at the same time she worried for Izu who claimed to have been gone years.

"I understand but you have to approach this from a position of that is in the past, this is the potential horrible future." Clarissa wanted to scream and Timms, but he was correct, they had to find Gilbert and stop him from going into the forest wherever it may be.

"Ok lets go to the house, hopefully we catch him there and stop this shit now." They left the office, Clarissa made sure to take a couple things from the back just in case she had guessed wrong on what was going on and made their way to Gilbert's house where he and the van were not located. Timms and Clarissa knew he wouldn't be there, but confirming it made it all the more deflating.

Clarissa was wandering around the house trying to think of what to do when she saw a picture of Gilbert and his former assistant Charlie. She remembered Gilbert calling him after they had dealt with the forest the first time. It was all she had. After a couple panic'd moments running around the house she found Gilbert's personal phone book and Charlie's number. She worried for a moment while the phone was ringing Charlie to had succumb to the forest's call.

"West Virginia." His voice was cracked and gravely, Clarissa did not know if that's how Charlie normally sounded, but it didn't sound natural. Like he was dying of something.

"Charlie?"

"Gilbert's going to West Virginia, I know because it's calling to me too, stronger than ever, but I'm not going, and I pray that you can get there before I have to do something drastic, so hurry, for my sake." The phone went dead, Clarissa didn't want to know what was something drastic Charlie would do, but feared the way he said it.

"What did he say?" Timms felt on edge, Clarissa had been not really saying anything to him and in her mindset he was getting worried himself.

"West Virginia."

"Ahh, my people."

"You have family in West Virginia?" Timms smiled.

"Oh I have family everywhere the lord's word need spreading young Clarissa, but don't you worry I'm sure we'll be welcomed in no time to the great state of Western Virginia and have Gilbert back here in no time." Clarissa did not have the same confidence Timms did.

****

"You have to take me with you." Shirley was more than a little worried about Gilbert, she had seen him when he had gotten home hours ago and he looked terrible.

"Aren't you stuck here as like a ghost? And I dunno if Timms would react well to a ghost Shirley."

"He's my husband, and if you take this I can go anywhere." Shirley held up a locket that drifted towards Clarissa's bed.

"Still doesn't make Timms ok with it."

"Ok with what?" Timms was standing in the doorway he had his pistol out.

"Timms she's not what you think."

"She's not a ghost? I do know that the former Mrs Dunkley has passed from this world." Timms put the pistol away. "I heard voices and I got worried, it is lovely to see you again Shirley though as a man of the lord I am saddened you have chosen to remain here instead of going to his lights grace."

"Reverend I need to come, Gilbert is in trouble and I can help."

"Than I welcome you're help, Clarissa please finish up we got to be getting going." Timms left and Clarissa let out the breath she didn't know she'd been holding.

"That went better than I thought."

"I never knew Timms personally, but he always seemed to be ok with all the weird things Gilbert brought him." Clarissa finished gathering her things, and put on Shirley's locket.

"I just hope Gilbert's ok." Shirley looked Clarissa deep in the eyes.

"He will be, he will be."

No comments:

Post a Comment