Friday, April 27, 2018

Not Better And That's Bad

67.

"Well look at who decided to emerge from a mine smelling so badly I knew you were coming before I could see you." Reverend Timms had both of his guns holstered standing over the melted remains of one of the deputies.

"What did you do Timms?" Clarissa felt sick to her stomach just looking at the body.

"Nothing, one minute I was shooting at them wondering if I was going to run out of bullets, next they were like this." Timms poked at the flesh with a stick and a toxic fume pushed out, he jumped back.

"Timms didn't do that, they are flesh puppets, kind of a monster zombie." Gilbert looked worse to Clarissa than before, especially in the light of day.

"You're industry is very weird Gilbert."

"Says the man who can't die who kills people for god."

"Don't bring my shit into your shit, your shit includes ghosts that aren't ghosts, and flesh zombies, that's well beyond just being a soldier for god."

"Fair enough Reverend, it was nice to see you, though I recommend we leave before people who aren't flesh zombies show up."

"Always a pleasure Clarissa, Gilbert." Timms went to leave and then turned around and threw Clarissa her phone, "Remember to not leave your things behind." Timms disappeared into the woods and Gilbert almost wondered for a moment if he was an angel and not the actual Timms, but figured that was bigger thinking than he should do.

"You know me leaving my phone behind really saved our ass."

"This time, not always, I remember I left a hankey behind once and it lead to a pack of werewolves chasing my ass down, and trust me not exactly the kind of visitors you want at four in the morning." Clarissa let that go and got into the van with Gilbert. They dodged around the police vehicles and were well on their way out of west Virginia by the time the sun was high in the sky. They weren't that far from the state boarder when Gilbert started coughing uncontrollably, it got bad enough Clarissa had to take over driving.

"What we did back there didn't help you did it?" Gilbert took a bit to speak, his very ability to breathe seemed like it was taxed.

"No, that thing back there, whatever it was, was just a pretender, the flesh zombies showed that, it was punching above its pay grade as a monster, but its not like the woods, whatever is inside me is more than just some killing to get rid of."

"What can we do?"

"I know a guy, he's an asshole, but he's the best at this kind of thing." Gilbert fumbled around in the middle console and pulled up a piece of paper.

"Wyoming?"

"Yeah, don't worry its a one lane town you can't miss the address, me I'm going to get some sleep." No sooner had he said it than he was out. Clarissa didn't like the sound of his labored breathing, and so she put her foot on the gas and hoped to make it to Wyoming sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment