Friday, June 15, 2018

Messages

74.

"I told you not to taunt the universe." Gilbert had seen Viktor immediately. Not many people wait outside of Gilbert's office dressed all in black. Considerably less do so in the middle of the day sticking out like the sorest of sore thumbs.

"Maybe he just needs our help."

"In the sense that he needs to die, sure he needs our help, in that you think he wants to hire us, no someone like that does not want to hire us, you'll have to trust me on this." Gilbert exited the van and went around to the back to gather up his things including his Naginata.

"Mr. Dunkley." Viktor had a booming way of talking, like a child who never learned what an inside voice was. Gilbert shot him, three bullets didn't seem to do much. Gilbert charged forward with the Naginata swinging a wide arc, Viktor caught the weapons blade between his hands and then in a quick motion broke it. The sound didn't sound like metal, or glass, it sounded an energy conduit exploding. Gilbert was thrown back from the action. He landed on the ground startled at what he was facing.

"If you don't take care of your toys you lose them Mr. Dunkley, Ms. Shipley before you think about attacking me with something I want you to know something." Clarissa had exited the van and notched an arrow, Viktor manged to wrench her through the air to his hand, he strangled her to the point of passing out and she hit the ground like a sack of potato's Gilbert feared she was dead.

"You won't take me without a fight."

"If I wanted to 'take' either of you, you'd be dead, no Mr. Dunkley this is a message, a message from your betters, stay out of our damn way or I will simply rend you both in twain and be done with it, there are things in motion you need to just let happen. I'm going to leave now, don't make me come back, this town smell like cow shit and failure." Viktor didn't just disappear, he walked to an expensive looking car and drove off, he waved at Gilbert as he drove by. As soon as he was out of sight Gilbert ran to Clarissa to see she was doing, she had woken up coughing, but seemed mostly ok.

"Who the fuck was that?"

"I have no idea, and I don't like what I don't know, lets get inside."

****

"Nothing, I see not a damn thing on who that guy is or what he is." Clarissa, Gilbert and Even Doris were looking through various volumes to discover the identity of the man who attacked them.

"Maybe he's a god."

"No one is a god, he's just something I haven't run across before."

"You don't know that Gilbert I've been around longer than either of you combined, there are gods." Doris didn't like how dismissive Gilbert was to the God theory.

"Doris, Clarissa I appreciate both of you coming up with theories..."

"He's nottttttt a goddd." Santinni arrived to settle the debate. "Viktor Reane, someone who hated life so much he became infuuuuused with death."

"What does that even mean?" Clarissa could accept all kinds of things, but someone being infused with death just seemed dumb.

"It meaaannnnss you should leave him be."

"Yeah that's not how I do things Santinni you know that." Santinni looked at Gilbert and then towards the door.

"You make your oooooowwwwn choices, but know this, you make that one, you won't be coming home." And with his words of vague warning Santinni left.

****

"I need you two to stay here, and don't do anything, and I mean it, nothing, just take a vacation relax, don't bother anyone." Gilbert had gathered up his traveling bag.

"And where will you be?"

"Japan, got some stuff to get sorted, don't worry I'll take care of myself, just again don't do anything while I'm gone." Doris looked to Clarissa who sighed and nodded. Gilbert hugged both of them, "I mean it really, don't do any jobs while I'm gone, bad things are out and about."

"We hear you." They said in unison and Gilbert left, trying to remember if he ever sorted out his issues with Japan the last time he was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment