Friday, October 5, 2018

SpookTober

90.

"It's literally our slowest month of the year." Clarissa had recovered from her injury, but now she was upset about October.

"How? How is that possible? It's literally the spookiest month of the year and you're telling me no one calls us out?" Clarissa was excited to use all the new monster knowledge she'd been reading up on since she'd been out of action.

"I dunno guess monsters take the month off since humanity goes all in, I mean we'll have some jobs maybe, but it's mostly quiet."

"But how? HOW?"

"After all you two have done recently you don't want to take it easy?" Doris welcomed it being slower, it meant Gilbert wouldn't be on her about watching TV at work.

"I refuse to accept this lying down! I'm going to find someone being harrased by a witches coven summoning zombies and this month will be spooky!" Clarissa stomped out of the office and Gilbert and Doris shrugged, she was young she'd learn soon enough.

"The young are weird Gilbert."

"I think she just wants to be involved in something, I'll call around maybe there's some plague of rats or something I can scrounge up."

"You go looking for work? Are you sure you came out ok from the Devil almost taking your soul?"

"I wonder that myself Doris, I wonder that myself." Gilbert retreated to his office and Doris went back to watching TV, she hoped he would not be successful in finding work. Gilbert too hoped he would be unsuccessful in finding work.

****

"Seriously nothing?" Clarissa had gone to the Double O, it was completely deserted, not even regular exterminators were coming and going.

Larry shrugged, "It's normally a slow month kid I don't know what to tell you."

"But its a spooky month! We kill creatures of the night, you can't tell me there aren't any out there." Larry shrugged again.

"Well I did have an old woman come in..."

"I'll take it."

"Probably just nerves or the grand kids aren't coming, but I'll get her address just let me go to the back."

"Thanks Larry."

"Yeah just don't be cursing my name when you're stuck drinking weak tea and looking for rats in some old dusty crawl space." Clarissa was out the door as soon as Larry had come back with the slip. She was sure that this old woman totally would lead to a witches coven or a zombie cult, or something. It was october god damn it and she was going to do something spooky at her spooky job!

No comments:

Post a Comment