Friday, February 8, 2019

The Alaskan Gillawomp

107.

"I'm excited this is my first time in alaska." Things had been slow post the navy rescuing Gilbert and crew six hours after they had emerged on the sound. Gilbert had jumped at the chance when a local trapper mentioned something weird going on in rural Alaska, anything to take him away from the office which still smelled of seaweed.

"Its cold, damn cold, especially where we're going."

"So you've been there before?"

"Yeah couple of times, they are always worried about people who went missing, or people who shouldn't be in the snow, but both times I've been up there its been wolves, nasty wolves, but regular old wolves, pay is good though." Clarissa frowned.

"I thought wolves were an endangered species."

"In some parts of the US, not rural Alaska, and don't think of these like big dogs, they are nasty vicious things that would rip you up."

"Well that's if they are wolves, it could be the Gillawomp." Gilbert sighed.

"Oh god Doris told you about the Gillawomp, she watches too much dumb shit I swear to god."

"She said it blends with the snow, and that its like a spider, or some kind of big lizard."

"Or some Drunk alaskans big fish story that a dumb tv show made a special about. Every time I've been up in Alaska Doris asked me to look for that stupid thing and I have humored her every time, I'm going to tell you it doesn't exist Clarissa trust me, it's not a real thing, the name alone is stupid."

****

"Its a Gillawomp." The fisherman was an old grizzled sort that Gilbert normally trusted, but now he had his doubts. He glared at Clarissa who was all to happy to hear Gillawomp.

"What's a Gillawomp?" Clarissa annoyed Gilbert further asking about it like an eager child.

"No one knows exactly young lady, just rumors."

"And bullshit."

"You don't believe in it? Why are you up here Mr. Dunkley?"

"Because I'm being paid by fish and wildlife to find a fly fishing group that went missing up there, it'll be wolves like the last two times I've been up here."

"It ain't no wolves Mr. Dunkley."

"We'll see, can you just point me to a map where they were going?" The old fisherman grunted and pulled up some maps, eventually setting on a creek deep in country.

"There, you'll want to pack warm clothing and food, its deep in." Gilbert looked at the map and nodded.

"Yeah I've been up there before." He didn't say good bye, he left the old man's shack.

"Gillawomps are real right?" Clarissa had lingered.

"Very real, watch yourself girl, if you hear rustling but don't see anything, its coming for you."

"Thank you sir, sorry about my boss, he's just grumpy." Old man nodded.

"I hope he's right and its just wolves, otherwise, well like I said watch yourself."

No comments:

Post a Comment