Friday, November 8, 2019

The New World

146.

"Nothing remains in one place for long." Demurra had been looking for Clarissa for a week, to find out she'd been in the Fey with Gilbert and the US military scared her.

"Is this a result of what's going on in the Fey?"

"Among other things, Gilbert didn't just betray you, he betrayed the whole community, he's taken extermination to its logical conclusion I guess, wipe us all out. They came for me, but sadly for them I didn't go quietly." Demurra held Clarissa's hand while she drove, places they passed looked like a war zone.

"So supernatural creatures are striking back I take it?"

"Yes the polite fiction of humanity only being an issue when something steps out of line is over. Humanity broke the unwritten truce and now all hell and heaven is breaking loose the world over." Clarissa shook her head, it was like a bad dream come to life.

"So what do we do now?"

"Fight I guess, who or what I haven't a clue, I've been trying to make it on my own while looking for you, but beyond that I haven't an idea Clarissa, I haven't felt this lost since I wasn't a demon anymore." Clarissa didn't need to be able to read minds or emotions to know that her and Demurra were lost. The new world was a horrifying place, where the only people they could rely on were each other, but for how long? How long until Gilbert and the government would come for them too.

"At least we have each other right?" Demurra smiled at that, and almost smashed her car into a person in the middle of the road screaming for help. Demurra wanted to drive around him, but she could see Clarissa already out of the car.

"What's going on?"

"Monsters horrifying monsters are attacking my family." Demurra got out and brought up a fist of flame and smashed the man right in the face. Clarissa was horrified at first, thinking her girlfriend had lost her mind, but the man's face melted away like a shell and whatever was underneath was revealed.

"Or you're the monster and you're trying to trick passerby's into your nest."

"How many more of them?"

"Five, they have some poor family trapped there and before you say it yes we'll help, Clarissa its cute you forget I can read your mind, but even if I couldn't I could tell by your face you want to help them, its who you are."

"It used to be who Gilbert was too."

"Maybe, but I think the man you think he is, and the man he actually was are vastly different people." Clarissa didn't push the issue, she wanted to save the family, it was the one thing that could make her feel normal, in a world that felt like it was going insane, and that would be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment