Friday, April 21, 2017

Sylvia Plath, Not the Poet

13.

"There are things I saw in there that will haunt me." Clarissa removed the ear plugs Gilbert had given her upon entering. It felt like hours had gone by, but based on where the sun was in the sky it was at best mid afternoon.

"Ghosts are like that, especially Mortensen satan spit on his awful soul."

"I made a perfect pun joke set up and you just let it fall to the floor."

"No I got it, I just chose not to engage." Clarissa stuck her tongue out at Gilbert and he laughed. They needed some levity after sending Mortensen and his band of awful spirits to wherever they would go in the afterlife, both hoped hell or some place stronger. Neither person noticed the BMW coupe parked next to Gilbert's van. It wasn't until the driver said something they were shaken from their revelry.

"Not even a hello Gil?" Gilbert looked at her for a moment and cursed and spit into the dust.

"Sylvia I heard you were in town, but I hoped much like a lot of bad rumors it was false."

"You cut me deep Gil, is that anyway to talk to your sister in law?" Sylvia was in her 40's by Clarissa's estimation, she had raven black hair and a scar that ran underneath her right eye from the bridge of her nose to the back of her face where Clarissa lost track of it. She was dressed in a loosely hanging suit and looked like a lawyer if not for the facial scar.

"I liked your Cadillac, crash it into a tree while texting?"

"You ever hunt a yeti?"

"Aren't they in the Himalayas? You drove your car over there?"

"Not all of them are, this was in Mexico of all places, damn thing ripped my car in two before I shot it down."

"Hi I'm Clarissa its nice to meet someone from Gilbert's family." Clarissa didn't like being ignored, she had her hand out for a shake and Sylvia pulled her in for a hug.

"It's always nice to meet Gilbert's coworkers they are nicer than he is."

"I'm plenty nice to people who aren't you Sylvia, what are you even doing here?"

"Sylvia Plath nice to meet you Clarissa."

"Like the poet?"

"Exactly like the poet, did you know that when I met Gilbert he didn't even notice that? He's not a man of letters."

"What are you doing here Sylvia?" Sylvia stopped the hug and smiled at Gilbert.

"Your friend Roy..."

"He's not my friend."

"Well your whatever Roy sent me."

"He better have sent you with an ax and an explanation or I'm going to be very upset at that illusionist."

"It was st..."

"God damn it Roy."

"olen by some rich guy you know? Apparently Roy was able to discern that the ax." But Gilbert was already getting in his van.

"Get in we're leaving Clarissa." Clarissa ran to her side of the van, she didn't want to be left behind at the creepy mansion even if they got rid of the ghosts.

"I'll follow you!"

"The hell you will Sylvia."

"You'll need me Gilbert, you'll see."

No comments:

Post a Comment