Friday, February 2, 2018

Fire Red And Ready To Go

55.

Clarissa was minding the office by herself. She hadn't felt confident enough to confront Gilbert about what the creature had told her. To be fair to her she hadn't felt good ever since she'd vomitted the creature back out. So when Gilbert and Doris said they were going to pick up some supplies and she could stay behind at the office she took the opportunity to not be out. It had been a fairly slow cold day and she figured no one would be coming in, not with crappy snow drift laden Ellensburg in February.

"Turn that frown upside down." Ms. Parker showing up was a surprise, that she was dressed like she'd just come from a cocktail party in a place a lot warmer than Ellensburg was even more of a surprise. She appeared even younger than she had before, which made sense since Gilbert had said she can look like however she feels.

"Miss Parker?" Clarissa suddenly felt very unprepared.

"You say that like I'm your teacher dear, I'm not your teacher, I'm your client, and I need your help."

"Gilbert isn't here."

"Of course he isn't my dear, but that's ok, you're developing quite the reputation yourself killer of dark forests, I see the news, so you're just perfect, I'll even pay double for the trouble." She smiled and her teeth were gold, not golden capped, but gold, with the rest of her appearance Clarissa couldn't figure if she just didn't care, or she wanted people to stop and stare.

"I'm not sure..." Ms. Parker grabbed Clarissa's hand and she could feel a heat there that was bordering on the unpleasant.

"Not exactly asking sweety, gather your things and leave a note." Her tone had changed from playful to commanding and Clarissa knew she couldn't fight back against a dragon. Clarissa wrote a hastily worded note about doing a quick job and she'd be back later, she didn't mention it was for Ms. Parker not wanting to hear Gilbert's anger when she got back. Once outside she saw Ms. Parker's car which was a large red limousine.

"Standing out a little bit?"

"I like to travel in style." Clarissa noted there was no driver, but it wouldn't have surprised her if there wasn't actually a car either.

****

"You didn't tell me what I need to kill for you." They had left town speeding beyond the limit, Ms. Parker did not seem concerned. Clarissa had to look away.

"Right, not so much a what, more a who."

"I'm not a murderer Ms. Parker."

"Of course you are dear, you tend to think of things like me as 'people' but you kill them all the same, make of that what you will, but worry not I don't need you to kill a person, well not a human person, but don't worry my dear we have a while to go, maybe you should rest until we get there." Clarissa was about to say she didn't feel tired, but before she could say it she was overcome with sleep.

****

"So he left the lights and the heat on after she left, that girl has a lot to answer for when she gets back." Gilbert was very upset Clarissa wasn't there, even more so when her note just said she'd taken a job and she'd be back shortly. The office was still lit up, the heat was on, and she hadn't even bothered to flip the sign from open to close.

"She's young Gilbert."

"Doris I don't need you standing up for her, and I swear to god if you're smoking in here again I'm going to dock your pay."

"Wasn't me, maybe it was Clarissa, but maybe you should calm down Gilbert? You've been really agitated."

"I already get that crap from her I don't need it from you, I'm going in my office, tell me when she bothers to come back again." Gilbert stomped off and Doris found herself wondering what was wrong with the man. She was also worrying about Clarissa, the note felt too rushed, but she knew shouldn't talk to Gilbert about it, not when he was in the mood he was in. So she sat at the desk and hoped things would work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment