Friday, August 3, 2018

The Devils You Know

81.

"I don't see how that was any of your business." Gilbert had been in the office for less than ten minutes when Doris and Clarissa arrived yelling at each other. He sighed, he had been looking at the list of things the Devil wanted and even with the pistols it wouldn't be easy. Nothing ever was in the business, but this felt even more daunting than usual.

"Its nice to see you two as well."

"Gilbert she went on a date with a demon!" Doris was red in the face, Clarissa looked equally angry.

"You did Clarissa? Demurra I assume?"

"It wasn't a date even! We just had a beer after we were on a jo... joking good time..." Gilbert gave her a stern look.

"A job you took a job while I was gone after I specifically said not to."

"She was on a date with a demon Gilbert I don't think the stupid job is all that important." Doris held herself a bit higher Gilbert could see the old Elf upbringing coming through.

"Demurra's an ex demon, and I doubt anything serious happens, she's all talk, I mean I dated a lizard girl for a while, it was weird but not un welcome, and you're being a bit of a racist here Doris."

"How dare you Gilbert how dare the both of you, I'm going home for the day!" Doris gathered her things up and left, Gilbert looked at Clarissa and shrugged.

"So how was Japan?"

"Sufficiently Japanese, how was your date?"

"It wasn't a date."

"Did you two have dinner and small talk?"

"Yes..."

"It was a date." Clarissa got red in the face and Gilbert smiled.

"Man now I feel like a jerk for yelling at Doris."

"Kind of glad you got her out of here so I could discuss our new client."

"Oh you met one in Japan?"

"Yeah, the Devil." Clarissa stammered a bit.

"Like the Devil the Devil or just like a Devil."

"Lucifer himself, seems our problem is his problem and he's willing to pay to get rid of it."

"You know last year this would have seemed weird, but now I'm kind of weirdly excited?"

"We'll make an exterminator out of you yet."

"So what's our first job for our lord Satan?"

"You ever hear of a Skin Wolf?" Clarissa had not, and two days later she'd wished Gilbert hadn't ever taken the Devil's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment